SERVICE TO THE LIBRARY:
This year the Friends will contribute
• Fund and schedule public, children's, and young adult programs. Most library programs are funded and supported by the Friends of the Library and would not exist without their support. Fund special public programs of the Florida Humanities Council.
• Fund scholarships, and professional development programs for library staff
• Purchase equipment, books and supplies not normally covered in library budget. This often includes special computer software, and upgrades to library equipment beyond that covered by the library budget.
• Enable library staff to attend the Florida Library Association (FLA) conference.
• Memberships in professional organizations such as FLA.
• Support volunteer program and fund annual recognition lunch.
• Change library displays monthly. Maintain displays of art and special displays at library.
• Work with Ethnic Association of Flagler County in changing Ethnic display cases monthly.
• Maintain Friends Website.
TYPICAL PURCHASES FOR THE LIBRARY:
• Enhance library collections with books and materials requested by patrons, including books written in foreign languages. Purchase of books again not covered by normal library budgets.
• Books and materials to support children’s Summer Reading Program.
• "The Teen Spot" materials in support of Young Adult Program.
• Computer reservation system permitting more effective usage of library computers and reference desk staff.
• New chairs and tables for Bunnell Branch Library.
New chairs for library meeting room.
• Micro film reader/printer and micro.films of Flagler County newspapers.
• Additional purchases for the Genealogy collection.
• Provide speakers, bookmarks and other incentives for National Library Week.
• New digital camera and DVD/VCR player for use by staff, Friends, Children’s Library and Meeting Room.
• Book return unit for donation
• Security camera for protection of library property.
• Desk and chair for Young Adult area.
• Digital wireless PA system and camcorder.
Typical tasks of our volunteers include:
SERVICE TO THE COMMUNITY:
• Assist in recording Flagler County History
• Ongoing updates and improvements for the website:
• Provide liaison for Flagler County schools.
• Actively support literacy throughout the county by partnering with Adult Education.
• Represent Flagler County Public Library at Library Days in Tallahassee.
• Member of Chamber of Commerce and co-sponsor of annual Festival of Trees.
• Represent the library at the annual Home Show and Service Fair and Earth Day at Washington Oaks State Park.
• Provide speakers that advise community organizations of library developments.
• Publish Friend’s newsletter From the Stacks.
• Fund professional adult, young and children’s programs held at the library.
• Support and fund children’s Summer Reading Program.
• Sponsor annual county wide Flagler Reads Together each March.
• Established and maintain an Endowment Fund for bequests and outright gifts.
• Maintain and staff Ye Olde Book Shoppe for sale of used books and magazines.
• Promote Sustaining Membership Program.
• Conduct quarterly book sales.